[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
What would you do?? - Whitetailkillers.com

Whitetailkillers.com

We're all about hunting!
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: What would you do??
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:32 pm 

I checked my cameras a few weeks ago and I had two pictures that are sticking with me. One is of a piebald doe and the other is a buck. The piebald basically comes in every single day ever since she was a baby last year. This was the first time I ever saw this particular buck. I also have not checked my camera since, so I do not know how big he is now or if he even comes back.

So here are my questions. On September 21st, I think there is a real good chance I will be giving the opportunity to take the piebald. Would you zip her or let her walk.

My next question is about the buck. If you zoom in on his ears you can see this deer has what I think are transmitters in its ears. I did read up that deer were caught and tug in some areas for a study. So geting to the question. If this deer comes by you, would you take him even if he was a small 6? I spoke to the game commission and I was told I would have to call if I harvested a tug animal. They said they would share all the data from this animal with me too. I think it would be neat to now where this animal came from and what ever else they can share.

So what would you do?????

Attachments:
piebald1.JPG
piebald1.JPG [ 139.51 KiB | Viewed 17546 times ]
buck.JPG
buck.JPG [ 350.34 KiB | Viewed 17546 times ]

Post subject: Re: What would you do??
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:59 pm 

To be honest with you i would let the piebald walk and kill the buck. but it's completely up to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:19 pm 

Where you have your tree stand look like you could get both if you wanted. If you shot the doe would you get it mounted or just tan the hide? If neither let her walk you could keep the pictures. Just cause the buck is there now doesn't mean he'll be there in September if he looks good then take him. Keep us informed on what you do..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:21 am 

It is totally up to you what you do and shoot. If it is a trophy to you or means something then by all means drop it. Dont let any one make the discision for you.
If it was me. I would shoot the doe If I planned on mounting or tanning the hide.
The buck does have ear tags. Same thing with the buck. If this is a buck you would normally shoot take him. If you want the tags to see his history then go for it. I asume this is Jersey where you can shoot more than one buck.
If it was me. Having only one buck tag and I knew I had slammers running around I would pass.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:40 pm 

The doe has an inferior gene causing high white. Kill her to strengthen the herd. She really does look cool though, so have the hide tanned.

As for the buck, knowing his history might be incredibly valuable. What do they track with those tags? If you knew his daily schedule, and where abouts, you could probably apply that knowledge to pattern other bucks for the rest of your life. Might be worth a tag to be better at filling future tags.

Port

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:49 pm 

Thanks for your opinions. I was just curious what other people may do. Its fun to yap about stuff like this as the season draws closer.

Anyway, I will be smoking the piebald the first day. I am pretty sure she will come by if her patterns continue. I am going to try to record the event. Any sponsers out there want me to use there stuff in the video, get in touch with me :)

I spoke to Cabelas to see if they wanted to put it in the Hamburg store. The deer would be harvested just a few miles away from there so I thought that would be cool for them. I also thought that it would be awesome to be able to tell my buddies to check out my deer while they are at the store. They are not interested in any piebalds though. I know its just a doe, but she is different...

As far as the buck. I am not sure about shooting him yet. I agree with you port that it would be interesting to see what I can learn from him. You are also right though, I may never see this deer again. If archery is almost over and he comes by, he will probably fill my freezer. Got to see...

Well as you can tell, I got the itch bad already, but unfortunately I have to wait much longer than you Jersey guys. Good luck this season....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:14 am 

Got the piebald, now I am just waiting on a buck..Ramcats did a great job. I put a bad hit on the deer and it still piled up 75 yards away. Paul, stop by Sunday for a cold one if you have time.

Attachments:
IMAG0224.jpg
IMAG0224.jpg [ 122.75 KiB | Viewed 17158 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:00 pm 

good job you did just what you said you would. Now what about the buck? keep us posted.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:47 pm 

I love beer!

Port

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:08 am 

Thanks, I have not seen that buck that has the tags. I will definitely put up a pic of what ever I end up taking. I actually had a bear come in and I can shoot it until the 27th. So I am hoping to see that too. Port, I will see you this weekend to do some curling.