[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Tom DiRisio of Strictly Archery - Whitetailkillers.com

Whitetailkillers.com

We're all about hunting!
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:48 pm 

Tom DiRisio of Strictly Archery

Have you ever walked into an archery pro shop and wondered who exactly their “pro” is? I have and at Strictly Archery in Washington, N.J. the pro is Tom DiRisio.

Born in New Jersey in 1957, Tom DiRisio, who is no stranger to hard work, was raised on a working Warren Co. dairy farm. From very early on, Tom was interested in shooting. He and his brother Ray grew up hunting and trapping around their farm. By the time Tom was 10 years old he was addicted to whitetail deer hunting. Tom has a competitive streak though, so he started to focus on other sports.

By the time Tom was 16 years old he was racing motocross. He raced for 12 years, eight of which he raced pro, and then his attention shifted to martial arts.

Early in 1991, Tom went to his first local 3D shoot, which he won. The archery bug had him. Six months later Tom was at the NFAA 3D Nationals in N.C. As he prepared for that shoot his buddies would tease him: “What are you going to do? Beat the pros?” Tom’s intentions were to watch the pros, and to learn from them. He ended up taking second place in his class, and was approached by Browning right there. From there Tom started to practice every day. He spent three to five hours a day shooting, and countless hours studying the mechanics of proper form.

During the next two years Tom took many top three finishes. In April of 1993, he headed to Atlantic City, N.J. for the IBO Indoor Worlds and the FITA International Classic. They were being held on the same weekend, and Tom’s goal was to place top five in both. Switching back and forth between target and 3D, Tom managed to win the IBO Male Bowhunter Release class and the overall, and place fifth in the FITA competition.

Between 1991 and 2005, Tom shot for sponsors such as Browning, Hoyt, Mathews, High Country, and Storm Archery. He also collected: 2 World, 3 International, 12 National, 14 State, and 4 Regional titles in both 3D and target archery.

In September of 1993, Tom opened Strictly Archery with his brother Ray. When I asked Tom what makes his shop special he said; “We are a technical store. We specialize in set up, service, and instruction.” Bowtech refers to Strictly Archery as a two percent store. Meaning only two percent of archery shops are technical stores where customers can expect proper fit, tune, arrow selection, and instruction. When you’re good, word gets around. Tom figures that 80% of his customers drive an hour or more to do business with them. Their major product lines are PSE, Bowtech, Hoyt, and Bear Archery, but they service every make and model bow.

My relationship with Tom, and Strictly Archery, dates back to 1999 or 2000. I had a new solo- cam bow that wouldn’t shoot a TM style rest. After taking the bow to five or six different shops and then putting it back to the way I had it, I brought the bow to Tom and Ray. Tom looked at the bow, and at my unorthodox set up, and asked “Does it shoot like this?” I said yes. He then told me that the bow had bad limbs from the factory and that the draw length was wrong, but he was impressed with the set up. Although this bow wasn’t a brand he carried, he got on the phone and ordered new limbs, and a draw length module for me. After a week or so, I got a call that the bow was done. When I came in the bow shot like a dream. I took a lesson with Tom and the rest is history.

Tom Dirisio has written tech articles for United Bowhunters of New Jersey and NJHunter. Com. He has also given seminars for UBNJ, Safari Club International, and many local clubs. He competed as a lefty for 19 years, but since 2006 he hunts with a right-handed bow, as he is right eye dominant. He has been on a shooter program with PSE since 2008 and he plans on going back out on the 3D circuit next year as a righty.

If you want to shoot your best, or just better than your friends, you owe it to yourself to make an appointment with Tom. Strictly Archery is located on the corner of Rt. 57 and Biedelman Rd. in Washington, N.J. Their address is 7 Biedelman Rd. Washington, N.J. 07882 and the phone number is 908-689-5800

Port

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:37 am 

tom is the man.only guy i will take my bows to. nice article port...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:06 pm 

Going to a 3D shoot with Tom tomorrow. Can't wait to beat his ass! Ok, that's not happening lol but I can have a dream! Nice talking to you today paul! Pick up one of those hinge releases and have some fun!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:38 pm 

Shoot straight tomorrow. Let us know how you did. It's good to have you on the site.

Port

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:48 pm 

WOW, I knew he was good, but I had NO idea he was that good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:15 pm 

Wow what a great story about Tom I would never let anybody but Tom touch my bows and I would never buy a bow from any other place but strictly archery.Since working with Tom on my form and my release my scores went thru the roof I am taking first place and second place in every tournament I have been in he takes his time to show you the right way and not rushing you out the door when you leave after a lesson you will be shooting great he knows his stuff that's for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:40 pm 

Great read! I'm a proud customer of Strictly Archery. Tom and Ray really helped me get into the world of archery and I haven't looked back since.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable