[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Starting Small - Page 2 - Whitetailkillers.com

Whitetailkillers.com

We're all about hunting!
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Re: Starting Small
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:54 pm 

Thanks port. That was a tasty cigarette.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:52 am 

Hi. It's me Port again. Number three is at the butcher shop. I have had a lot going on lately, and it has been cutting into my time in the woods. Tonight was the first chance I have had to get out since 9-18-10. The season has only been open two and a half weeks, and I have already missed a week and a half. I know, and I'm ashamed. Well, tonight was a Grim Reaper night. When I pulled it out of the quiver it just looked lucky. It was.
I arrived at my spot for the night, and found deer in all the neighbor's yards. One lady came out to check her mailbox, and started laughing at me. There I was putting on my camos, and the deer are milling around forty yards away. I spent the evening in a backyard in N.J., with the home owners dog. I had just made it to the stand, when the owner let the dog out. The dog saw me in the woods and flipped out. I climbed the tree, but the barking continued for at least ten more minutes. I figured it wasn't going to work. The dog knew I was in there, but the electric fence was keeping him back, so every noise made him bark some more. Not little barks either, Otis is a Bull Mastiff. Big barks.
I sat for three hours watching the deer out in the yards, with no deer in the patch of woods with me. At one point I thought that I would have been better off standing next to my truck, dressed like the UPS man, than sitting in a tree camoed up. I would have killed about ten, easily. Finally two does headed into the woods towards me. I think "this is it" and my heart starts pounding. I was starting to feel like the sit was going to pay off, when Otis heard them moving. Otis is fifteen feet behind my tree barking his fool head off. Now I'm thinking "this sucks". Well Otis knew where the invisible fence was, but apparently so did the deer. They stopped for a moment, and then kept coming. They chose a path that put them almost under the tree. Steep shot angle, imagine the placement of the vitals, bombs away. The Grim Reaper was hungry. It grabbed a little spine, then a lung, some of the heart, and then left a wicked exit wound. The deer hit the ground so hard, that I could hear the thud. This doe was so close, I was able to grab a picture right from the stand with my phone. NICE!
Included please find, camera phone picture, exit wound photo, and the stupid picture I tried to take of myself with the deer in the truck. No more borrowed Subaru.

Attachments:
9-29-10 0006.jpg
9-29-10 0006.jpg [ 58.83 KiB | Viewed 1740 times ]
9-29-10 00501.jpg
9-29-10 00501.jpg [ 80.95 KiB | Viewed 1740 times ]
9-29-10 00401.jpg
9-29-10 00401.jpg [ 90.4 KiB | Viewed 1740 times ]

Port

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:35 pm 

hahah great story loved it.. sweet shot and exit wound 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:35 pm 

You know my friend THIS is how you carry a suitcase, although in this case it's more like a change purse ! ! ! !

Attachments:
Ciggarette.jpg
Ciggarette.jpg [ 22.44 KiB | Viewed 1732 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:34 pm 

I thought the picture I posted was bad. I remember that night. I was laughing so hard, I nearly peed in my pants. When Big Dave ( his father) and I got back to the truck, the ballbusting started immediately. #1 Son claims it looked a lot bigger from the treestand. The deer didn't have any spots, and it was bigger than any of the squirrels he had seen that night. I still say the rubber gloves were because he was afraid infancy was contagious.

How convenient, venison in an easy to handle snack size.

Port

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:14 am 

I don't know what posessed me to wear those gloves, maybe I was having a pretty boy moment. It could have just been a stupidity leak also. The PGDC kept handing them things out and I had a pile of them in my pack so I guess I used them. As far as the deer well, what can I say, I'm a growing boy and I was hungry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:20 pm 

did you store it in that blue tub? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:08 am 

No. The blue tub is mine, and it is always overloaded. With all the camo, and gear, I don't think you could store a pack of gum in there.

Port

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:37 pm 

I have a wonderful surprise for all of you. I have found a picture of a very young Rackmaster with a cigarette. Enjoy.

Attachments:
rackcig01.jpg
rackcig01.jpg [ 36.82 KiB | Viewed 1729 times ]

Port

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:53 pm 

Wednesday evening found me back in New Jersey for a little fun in the sun, hillbilly style. I stopped by my mom's house and cut her grass, then it was off to the woods. Responsibilities have to come first, right?
I was in a tree by 4:00 pm, with the video camera set up. I was flying solo, but I have a treestand tripod that straps to the tree. I was really hoping to get a mature doe on video. Of course, if a big boy showed up, I would have liked that as well. The video camera seems to make the hunting much harder for me. I don't usually get things to fall into place when I'm trying to run the camera and shoot the deer. Seeing as how I like backstraps more than TV, the video usually suffers.
I sent a text to The Rackmaster telling him; the camera and I were ready, please send deer. He must have done the ceremonial Sending Deer Dance, from where ever he was hunting, because I looked up and caught some movement. A nice, solo, slick head was headed my way. Yippee! And, she was on the camera side of the tree. Double Yippee! Now comes the hard part. Leave the bow on the hook, and work the camera. "You must have discipline, young grasshopper!"
I filmed her coming in the whole way. When she hit the corn, she was facing me. I could hear her vitals screaming at me to shoot, but I wanted to wait for a more appropriate shot angle. You know, because of the camera. I'm trying to set a good example. Holy Cow! She stayed facing me for at least ten minutes. She just wouldn't turn. I was falling apart. I had to take some deep breaths, and relax. A few times. I just couldn't stay calm. The camera was pressuring me I think. I'm not usually such a mess.
Finally, she started to turn. As she was taking her leg forward, I drew the bow, and my movement went unnoticed. Perfect. Full draw and she doesn't know it. I think the Grim Reaper on the front of my arrow winked at me. Then the arrow was away. Shwack! She only went ten yards and stopped. I was trying to see her on the screen on the camera, but I was just about useless at that point. After a couple of seconds she crashed. The deer was down right there, but I couldn't get her back on camera. I was shaking like a leaf. Time to settle down again.
It all worked out perfectly. The video footage is great. The deer went down thirty five yards from the stand, fifteen from where I shot her. I grabbed my EZ TAG-N-DRAG, and we headed to the truck together. And I lived happily ever after.

Oh yeah, I'll show you the video soon.

Attachments:
10-13-10 00301.jpg
10-13-10 00301.jpg [ 89.22 KiB | Viewed 1728 times ]
10-13-10 00701.jpg
10-13-10 00701.jpg [ 98.42 KiB | Viewed 1728 times ]

Port